Monday, August 18, 2008

our ONLY vacation this summer

Yeah, too bad I forgot the camera.

I decided that we REALLY needed to get away for a night or two before school started and with the price of gasoline Jeffs family cabin in Sun Valley was out of the question. So we quickly packed our car full of pillows and more pillows and lots of stuffed animals (have I mentioned that Abby is a pack rat?) and headed off to my moms cabin up in the Uinta Mountains. On the short drive up Garrett asked "Are we in Australia yet?" (I guess he thought we were on a different adventure that involved Aunt Jen, Uncle Darran, and a kangaroo or two). I was surprised that my children had never been around a bon fire or made Smores (yuck). We had such a blast and I am a little disappointed to find that my family got in touch with their red-neck side and LOVED spotting. Oh, you don't know what spotting is (and I'm not talking about what happens to most women)? It when you go find the biggest spot light you can find, amp up the wattage (having a brother that is an electrician on the trip helps), and drive around very late at night and shine that spot light in the poor animals eyes probably giving them a rash because they think they are on the brink of death. My kids lived for this adventure. They got to see deer (Em can tell you the difference between a buck and a doe), jack rabbits, elk, and a moose. We also brought out the red-neck and took up the BB gun. Guess who loves to shoot? Abby Nan Jones (I am still trying to get over seeing my girly-girl holding a weapon of mass destruction). We were so sad to have it end but I do love not having dirt in between my toes.

4 comments:

cathy said...

glad that you had such fun...camping isn't so bad is it? in Abbbies defense, i love to shoot guns and so does Kella!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Toad I am totally jealous you went to our honeymoon suite.

Jen and Daz said...

Couldn't you just drive the extra 200,000 miles to see us in Australia? :) We would love to see you! How cute is Garrett???

Jeff said...

chipper misses you guys in Idaho - and gas is cheaper (10 cents).