Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Life

Boy, do I have a story to tell. Or I should say my family has one to tell because I don't recall much. It all started on November 8th. I had surgery scheduled at 6:45 am. I was getting my hiatal hernia repaired in a procedure called a Nissan Fundoplication. They take part of the stomach and wrap it around the esophagus to reduce stomach acid. I have Chrons disease and for the past two years I have been nauseated with excess acid. This needed to be done. I remember waking up from surgery. I remember not being able to breath. On the 11th at about 3am the nurse walked into my room to find me blue. I was told that they called a code and tried to stabilize me on a ventilator.I fought the intubation so my mouth is all cut up. I am told that Jeff rushed into the room to see me blue and bloody then was told the prognosis was not good.  I have pictures of me all big and puffy on that ventilator. I remember waking up with a tube down my throat and my hands tied to the bed. All my electrolytes were off. They say I went septic. The blood tests don't prove it though. Nobody can figure out what happened only that they were trying like mad to fix my bodies extremely high white count. Where the infection started nobody knows. I turned a little crazy in the hospital. I had to walk constantly. I wanted out of bed. I wanted to relax like they were telling me to do but my brain wouldn't let me. Finally the potassium and bags of magnesium started to work. I stayed in bed one night and slept for two hours. Progress. Its the most I sleep at night because I can't trust my body to do what its supposed to do: breath. So I wake up in a panic and can't get back to sleep. Finally the ventilator was removed. But I am a little messed up. I can guarantee that when I get the hospital bill I'll have to remind myself to breath correctly. See, i learned something. Plus I'm never having surgery again. EVER.

7 comments:

pamela said...

jodi, so many people have been ill with worry for you. love you so much dear, but i always did, even before you turned blue.

**i want to see you!!

jodi said...

blue is the new color this season. call me. i'm home constantly and i DONT SLEEP.

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

I wanted so bad to be there. I am sorry you had to go through this. So glad you're pink and breathing.

jodi said...

ray, trust me. you didn't want to be there. I'll have Monica send you the pictures.

JOHNICA said...

you're such a diva Phyllis

sure love ya

Jen and Daz said...

During times like this I really hate being so far away! We are so glad that you are back in the land of the living and that you are getting some rose in those cheeks...if you ever need to chat at 3am...know that you can call us, it's only 9pm in Oz! Love your guts and glad that you are back where you belong!!! xoxox

Heistermanfamily said...

Jodi, Im so happy your ok, we were so worried! I love ya!