Friday, April 15, 2011

My Heart

my Greasers


Last night was my first Special Needs production.
I am so glad that it won't be my last. The nervous energy was palpable! We had so much fun but here is the part that sticks with me....
After our dance (Grease) I snuck into the auditorium to take a peek. I haven't seen the full play yet because I am in charge of many people. The place was packed. The love from the audience was audible. Every year there is a boy that does push ups no matter what dance he is in. As he was doing his push ups people from the audience were yelling his name, cheering him on. After the play was over and he was walking to the car I noticed all the back slaps from boys that couldn't be older than 18 telling him how awesome his push ups were.
While I was on stage all I could hear were people yelling the names of people in my dance. It fills my heart that people come and support us. There is a girl that is mostly deaf and she was trying to sign to me that she could hear her family calling her name. She tried to tell me that she was so embarrassed but she was glowing with pride and I didn't believe her.
this caveman can do 35 pushups!
 Backstage I had the time of my life listening to everyone encouraging one another, telling them what a great job they did or good luck. In my group I have one of the Hansen twins. Three decades ago they were born conjoined at the head, one is in a wheelchair and the other is partially paralysed. When we came out for curtain call she pulled another person from our group with her who is quiet and doesn't dance much and convinced her that she needed to twirl in her poodle skirt. She told me "you only get to wear a poodle skirt twice this year, you need to show it off!". The two of them did their twirl and were in their own slice of Broadway for less than a minute. They loved it, I loved watching them.
 All the costumes were hand made by a group of talented seamstresses. The stage crew is there voluntarily. The scenery done by the leaders. Nobody takes a dime home. I'm taking my camera tonight to get pictures of everyone in their full gear which I will post tonight...
Thank you to all my great friends and family who came to support me but fell in love with the Special needs kids. Tonight we are expecting a full house!
me with the star of the show...Jeff Weston

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Toad, I really wish I could be there to the production! It sounds amazing and I heard you dance? :)

Jen and Daz said...

So wish we could be there to support you and those special youth you are priviledged to work with! Sounds like a fabulous event!!! Break a leg (but not really!) :)

Sandi said...

I want to be there! They are "my heart" too!