Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My newish rooms

Today on Oprah there was a guy who had every material thing he'd ever want or need. He sold it all and was living in a (nice) mobile home. I only caught the first 10 minutes because other things needed to be done but here is what I got out of those 10 minutes. I think some people struggle because they want more. A bigger house, a newer car, the best toys. Why don't we use what is only necessary? Who are we trying to impress? Every once in a while I will put a bug in Jeff's ear...lets move. I want a bigger house with a more modern kitchen. If I had that I'd cook more. Thank goodness that Jeff is well grounded or we'd be financed up to our armpits. I have come to appreciate my small house. I know we don't have oodles of room but we don't NEED oodles of room. Take what you need. Not more. I happen to live in the greatest neighborhood. There is no competition. Everyone gets along. There is no drama. I feel like everyone has the mind that "it takes a village" and even though at one time I was itching to get out I am well rooted and happy here. Happiness isn't found in the extras for me. Are the extras nice? Oh yeah, but I am proud of my simple lifestyle. My dream dwelling is on a different continent but until we get there (and we may never) I am content. That being said, we have done some awesome home improvements. And when I say we I mean Jeff. He is such a perfectionist that I am usually kicked out. I am not a well developed artist. We moved the girls downstairs, put Garrett in the girls old room and made Garrett's old room the office. Its my favorite room. Jeff found old maps from the Netherlands and had them all framed. The desk? Its my kitchen table cut in half. So right now we don't have a kitchen table but we are looking for one.
This is Garrett's new room. The colors are all picked by Garrett and we have ordered vinyl teams to put in each color. BYU, U of U, Texas Longhorns, and the Jets.
I think it turned out pretty great.
The best part is the De-junking. Where did we get all those stuffed animals?

6 comments:

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

I really love that green color on the walls. I wish I could see it in person!

pamela said...

the rooms are looking great, and we totally miss you! i miss that village. i still think of it as "my" village even thought i don't live there.

the rooms look great!!! old maps....love love love!!!

jodi said...

pam your still part of this village! Even tonight we were at Kamis talking about how great it was with you there.

Rach...every room has some sort of green in it. I love the color.

BradandLisa said...

I love the new home improvements!You (and Jeff) did a great job! We'll have to come take a look at those maps-Brad will love it!

Jen and Daz said...

Could you please send Jeff over to help us with a few of our home reno's? And if you send him...you all should come too, we could have a party!:) Post the girls rooms!
Can't wait to see it in person too!

jodi said...

Jen, I won't post their pictures because their rooms are messy. I should just go clean them myself.