So my mom passed on this book to me and let me tell you, I am deeply moved. First (and the best selling point) is it takes place in Holland, in a town that I have been to and loved. It is where Jeff scrimped and saved every last penny and bought a suit that he is rather quite dashing in (update: the suit part actually takes place in Hilversum). It is where I found a plethora of shoes on my first visit that just made my heart soar. So upon the first few pages I was in love. Second, it is about the Holocaust. Since I was a child I have been moved by this tragic event in history. I have been to a concentration camp that still haunts me daily (on a lighter note...Jeff was doing a vocal imitation of a German officer which made me laugh or else I would have been to sick to my stomach to continue through the camp).
This is the house in Haarlem where they hid the Jews. I am only on the third chapter but I felt the need to encourage everyone who hasn't read this to do so.
5 comments:
can i borrow it when you are done??
I read this book in Jr. High and I loooved it!! It was hard to put down!
Have you finished yet? Isn't it an incredible book.
It's a fantastic book! Corrie actually knew the sisters in the book...grew up in the same city or something like that. I just got finished with another great book called "The Boy In The Striped Pajama's." Let me know if you can't find it, I'll send you my copy.
Post a Comment